This month, we shall continue in our character building series by talking about Diligence. Diligence is one of the characteristics of leaders. We want to repeat again that character is the core of all people’s behaviour and is very valuable as you are being trained to be leaders. If you look at some of the people we respect today for their immense contributions to humanity, you will discover that their success lay not in what they achieved but in their personal character
that propelled them to their achievements. Examples are Mother Theresa, Booker T. Washington, Abraham Lincoln, Thomas Edison etc. A person may be full of knowledge and have great skills but may lack character. Of what good is knowledge and facts if one lacks the ability to apply them with wisdom, discernment and decisiveness?
Definitions of Diligence
- Diligence is careful and persistent work or effort. – Oxford Dictionary.
- Diligence is the constant and earnest effort to accomplish what is undertaken. –Dictionary.com
- Diligence means to value height, take delight in, careful and hard working.- Vocabulary. Com
From the above definition we can say that a person who is diligent works hard and carefully. He does his works earnestly so that he can do it right. This is the attitude that leads to success. We can also say that diligence is investing one’s energy to complete the tasks assigned to one.
Our own definition as kids:
Diligence is investing my time and energy to fulfil each task assigned to me!
Synonyms of “Diligence”
Busy, careful, assiduous, hardworking, industrious, tireless, untiring…..
Answer the following questions:
- Do you value hard work?
- Do you stick with something all the way through to completion?
- Where should we be diligent? At home? At home? At play/
In what ways can we be diligent with our
- Daily chores
- School work
- Family project
Before you can be called a diligent person, you must have the mindset to work hard at all that you do.
How can we be Diligent?
God made the ants diligent. We have a lot to learn from the ants (Proverbs 6: 6-11)
- Ants have no guide, no overseer and no leader
- They gather food during the harvest
- They work very hard during harvest moving food to their holes in order to provide for the rainy season.
For each character trait, we shall be having at least five “I will” actions that
would state practical steps in order to achieve each trait.
The “I Will” for Diligence
- I will finish my work on time
- I will focus on my work
- I will give attention to details
- I will follow instructions
- I will do things right
- I will not be lazy
Rewards or Gifts of Diligence
(Tune: Three Blind Mice)
Working hard to accomplish a task
Diligence is what God asks
Working hard in all I do
To finish the job until I’m through
In your cart of good character traits, today you should add Diligence to it.
Make it practical in your everyday life and definitely we look forward to seeing you at the top!!!